Monday, March 06, 2006

A work in progress...47

Had a bad cold over the weekend so didn't do much writing. I'm busy revising the first 10,000 words and like what I've written so far. I've got the work laptop for another week and may have my own back by the weekend. The computer will reboot with XP Home, but not Pro , which is what it was installed with. Very bizarre.

I've been drilling the kids all weekend for their sponsored spell and I'm reading them Roald Dhal's The Wicthes on a nighttime, which is scaring the pants off them. We had a good day together yesterday as my wife was at a dance workshop all day. I couldn't take them swimming as promised, due to my cold, but we did go out for lunch.

My wife was also unwell and went to bed early on saturday night. I stayed up and watched A Clockwork Orange. The film usually makes me depressed, but this time I watched it for its artistic merits. Forget the violence this is a beautiful film, I hadn't realised Beethoven's Ninth played such an important part of the film. I have been listening to this piece of music quite a lot recently and it made the film all the more powerful for me.

I also watched Nil By Mouth, another unforgiving British film that pulls no punches. Ray Winstone is terrrifying as the out of control geezer beating up everyone he comes into contact with. Gary Oldman's script and direction is brutally authentic. Depressingly brilliant and inspiring.

No comments: