Sunday, August 08, 2010

Old Man and the Wood

My children are my inspiration. I am separated from their mother so time with them is precious. I have a girl and a boy, 12 and 10 respectively and they are wonderful, I am so proud how they have adapted to the new circumstances, they are bright, funny, creative and energetic. It helps that the marriage break up was amicable and I am still on friendly terms with their mother, despite our differences. I write this from the family home, she is away and is letting me stay here with them - I have also given up my flat in London for her when she needed it for a weekend. It’s that kind of relationship and not many couples are fortunate to have that understanding after a break up. When I have my children (every other weekend, as they live quite far from London) we have fun and stimulating times exploring London, going to galleries and exhibitions or simply hanging out. I enjoy showing them another world, different to their small market town in deepest Hampshire.

Last week we went camping together in Wareham Forest, Dorset. Like many families budgets are tight this year and it was all I could afford. No matter, we have been camping together for the last three years since the separation and always enjoy it. This time was a bit different. We stayed on a campsite with not much for entertainment apart from an outside heated outside pool. There were of course lots of walks to be had, bike trails etc (we didn’t take bikes) and we actually camped in the woods. The campsite was peaceful. It was a relief to be out of contact with the world for a few days - I switched my phone off, and of course left my Macbook at home so no emails, Facebook updates or twitter. The children were equally bereft of TV, computer, PSPs etc for four days - although my daughter kept her mobile with her at all times.

It was just the three of us and a pack of cards, cricket set, boules and a frisbee. These past four days were a simple joy. We spent time in the pool and indulging in all the above activities, hot chocolates at 10pm, stories, reading in the tent and lights out. We swam together and went on walks, I cooked dinner every night on the cooker - and because they are now at an age where they are more independent the children could go off and do their own thing without me; giving me some time to recharge.

I work as a journalist in London so quite a demanding job and it’s easy to suffer from information overload. I have also written one screenplay, which is in development and my time is constantly spent emailing pitches, obtaining feedback, editing, rewriting, reading screenplays etc etc.

On holiday I only took one book ( I usually have several on the go at once) Boredom by Alberto Moravia, an author I greatly admire, and a notebook. I also took the decision to not drink alcohol or coffee during this time - it is now over a week since I have imbibed either and I feel so much more energised. I drank organic tea while away and continued my yoga practice.

What happened next came as a surprise as while been fully engaged with my children over these four days away I came back with an outline for a new 90-page screenplay. The creative process was as such: I would wake early sit outside the tent with a brew for an hour or so alone with my thoughts and slowly and unforced ideas would come - characters, plot, scenarios etc. I should confess that the original story is an idea I already had wrote a mishmash of 90,000 a few years ago. Using this as my research I would slowly sketch out a structure, either sat by the pool while the children swam or simply snatching quiet moments. I didn’t force anything, sometimes I would read my book. The process was slow, at times I felt like Santiago in Hemingway’s Old Man and the Sea, each day he goes fishing, even though he knows the likelihood of bringing in a catch is remote. He endeavours for something like 80 days (I forget) before he is rewarded, but even then his victory turns into a defeat of sorts as he has to wrestle with a giant Marlin and then when he kills it the fish is devoured by sharks.

Unlike Santiago I did not have to wrestle with my catch, ideas flowed naturally, sure I had blocks, felt like abandoning the idea thinking it was a waste of time, but in my own silent way I persevered with it and slowly the plot, characters, structure fell into place - I came back with a beginning middle and end of an original screenplay that I feel excited about.

Been around my children without doubt helped the process, but what I discovered is to the best way to work is simply go away, get out of your usual environment, keep it simple, have no expectations, avoid all distractions such as phone and emails etc and listen to your subconscious. After all writing is really thinking, and if you don’t catch anything this time maybe next time, or the next, like Santiago if you have to keep trying, it those that give up who ultimately come away with absolutely nothing.

Coffee and alcohol are optional; for me I felt like cleansing my body and mind. Both drugs have played a part in my creativity before, what I discovered is that they weren't essential to the process and I do feel so much better, clearer, sharper, I am also sleeping longer and deeper. I have my children for another week, and while back in the modern world I am continuing the vibe of writing when I can but my main priority is and always will be them: because without them I am nothing.

1 comment:

olly said...

Great to see something on the blog again old friend, I've always enjoyed reading it n the past and just checked it out on a whim and hey presto ! I like the title Crocodile Eyes, looking forward to reading it when you've finished it.
keep at it fellah.
Love Olly