Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Cobralingus

I'm halfway through Mark Z Danielewski's House of Leaves; i read it mainly on the bus during a 20 minute journey across London to work. This is after spending an hour on the train writing my own book. As you can imagine my head is well and truly scrambled by the time I get to work, and then I have to edit and produce a magazine. I do the same on the way home but in reverse. By the time I get home, I'm a complete vegetable. I just have time to read the kid's a bedtime story - Percy the Park Keeper or Gruffalo comes as a relief.

I can't believe the House of Leaves is five years old, I've only just discovered it; in future all books should be written like this. Its graphic use of text and its whole style is like nothing i've ever read before, it's opened my eyes to the possibilities of what words can do, not only by their meaning but sheer presence on a page. As a newspaper editor I'm aware of the graphical elements of text, but I've never seen it used in this way in a book before. It's like reading Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting and trying to decipher the Scottish dialect, both are original and demand more from the reader.

In my previous posts I have talked about drums and jazz and composition, and I was searching for a method to write in a different way, make it avant-garde and not use the same old template that has been used by novelists for the past 300 years. I could understand what Danielewski was doing with the format and structure of his novel; he's incorporatd highly visual techniques that film makers use. I want to do something similar; approach writing from a different angle, see it in a new medium and for me music is the answer. As I write this I'm listening to Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, a wonderful avant garde piece of music that is lyrical and moving. The three movements tell a different story but they all blend into eachother. As I was researching the House of Leaves I came across an article on the web by Jeff Noon on how writers should adopt techniques used by DJs and film makers; ie cut and splice, use jump cuts and freeze frames, slow-mo, mixing, scratching and sampling.

William Burroughs did this to an extent with Naked Lunch, so it's nothing new, but what Noon is saying is that this is the future, this is how we process information "fluid mediums" for a "fluid society".

He has developed a sofware engine that will scramble text, a bit like how DJs sample and mash up music. It's a fascinating idea and it's designed to fire the writer's imagination. Check it out at http://www.codexbooks.co.uk/book.html

No comments: