Monday, September 12, 2005

A work in progress ...25

I feel like playing drums. Playing along to some jazz and letting go. I have an old drumkit up in York which I'm going to go collect. My son, Noah, is five and he has already got a good style and loves to play. We play sometimes on my borther's kit when we're back home. My nephew Dan also plays, so it's a bit of a family thing.

With my writing I'm trying to get a rhythm going and am thinking of writing as a jazz composition. I want to recreate that freedom of improvisation, go off on a solo, change the accent, change the tempo, nuance but always come back to the beat.

I'm writing a very disciplined section, it's almost in real time and my style is to default to journalism. I need to record certain events like the London bombings, which I experienced, I want to convey the feeling of July 7 to the reader, but in an abstract way - hence the jazz.

Maybe when I get home I'll put on some John Coltrane ot Art Blakey.

We've been listening to Antony and the Johnsons over the weekend, my wife says it's ideal music to paint to, but too intense to write to; but I like it all the same.

Still writing everyday, which is good, but papargraphs are coming painfully slow.

No comments: