Monday, October 17, 2005

A work in progress...31

I finished The House Of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski last week. When I finally got to the end it was a relief, never has a book demanded so much of me. It was almost harder reading it than writing my own. I enjoyed it more for its style, the prose was incredibly inventive and it has inspired me to think differently about my own writing.

I am now reading Ulysses. The book has been sat on my bookshelf untouched for 12 years. I am hoping it will provide me with more inspiration and give me some kind of steer on my own book.

Managed to do a bit of writing at the weekend, but not much. Writing in the first person still and up to almost 75,000 words. At times I feel like abandoning the whole thing, as I'm not clear on where its going and if i can pull it off. But I am perservering, I write mostly on the train and that daily input is crucial as it keeps the momentum going and the word count ticking over. Even if I write 100,000 words of a first draft and edit it down to 50,000 I would be happy.

The title for my book is The Vitruvian Man.

No comments: