Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A work in progress...51

The easter break proved quite stressful in the end. The landlord of our previous address has decided to keep our deposit and made all kinds of serious allegations about the condition of the property. This was upsetting and inconvenient as we were relying on the money to buy bunk beds for the kids' room. At the moment they are sleeping on mattresses on the floor.
The landlord has a reputation as a complete wanker and is basically greedy and arrogant. We left the property in a better condition than we found it and have an inventory to prove it. I spent most of my spare time drafting a letter to the tosser demanding my £1,000 deposit back. I posted it this morning on my way to the station.
Next the boiler packed in, we went a day without heating or hotwater before I figured out what was wrong with it. A faulty thermostat. We spent a most of the time sorting boxes out and taking more stuff to the tip. Highlight of the weekend was going to see Ice Age 2 and watching the new Dr Who. We also went for a cycle ride which was great - the first time the kids have been on their cycles this year. Drank a lot of wine and didn't get much writing done. I also have speakers rigged up to both computers so was able at least to listen to some music. I also played chess with my son Noah, who's six. He's getting quite good, but cries and sobs when I take his queen. I keep telling him it's to show him the moves, but he doesn't understand. In a year he'll be whipping my ass.
Work is busy, and we've been told we're moving offices tomorrow, righ in the middle of deadlines. Great.

No comments: