Monday, February 13, 2006

A work in progress...41

Had a strange weekend. The atmosphere at home was tense and the children were sick. We had planned to go to the imax cinema in London to celebrate my son's sixth birthday, with our friends Al and Elizabeth. But my son came down with the lurgi, the same symptoms that my daughter was suffering from.
My wife has been tending to sick children all week, and was feeling fed up and despondent about not having any income. We're trying to buy a house, but struggling to get a deposit together. All our lives we seem to have been broke and it is wearing us both down. I feel drained by it all and my wife is becoming desperate. I've suggested she sells her handmade cards through ebay, but she can't grasp the concept.
Surprisingly, I got a lot of writing done over the weekend, or at least research. I discovered that the artist Wassily Kandinsky had synaethesia - the ability to see sounds and hear colours. My main character also has this condition, it gives him a unique outlook on life, he's developing into a fascinating character.
I've pretty much nailed the first part of the book and I'm revising the first 10,000 words to send to an agent. It reads really well, is set in the present and the first part deals with the London bombings.
I've been reading Stephen's King's book 'on writing'. I've not really read much of his stuff, but enjoyed the various adaptations of his work to screen. He has a great attititude to the writing process, I'm not really learning anything knew, but his voice is kind of assurance that my writing style is up to scratch. His main tip is listen to the beat, rather than get booged down in all the rules, be free and flowing, yet know when to rein the beast in.

No comments: