Monday, June 27, 2005

A work in progress...11

I didn't do much writing on the train today. The weekend was tiring - good friends of ours, Al & Elisabeth came to stay so we were busy entertaining. Al and I stayed up watching Glastonbury live on TV until 3am on Sunday morning and I was still feeling the after effects this morning. They bought me a DVD of the making of Smile by Brian Wilson as a birthday present. I mentioned that the kind of breakdown he expeperienced while making the album is similar to what the main character in my book goes through - so the DVD should be good for research and inspiration. I'm beginning to think the book is maybe becoming too complicated - it feels as though I am writing two books at the same time, and not sure I'll be able to tie the two together in a coherent form. All the scenes seem somehow disparate, maybe it will come together once all the narrative is complete. On a deadline at work this week, so I must try and focus all my energy there. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on anything else but the book, I'm really enjoying writing it, but the process is mentally draining.

No comments: