Thursday, June 16, 2005

A work in progress...4

Since my laptop crashed I have so far refrained from taking it on the train with me. Instead I revise pages that I've printed out at home on a night and write new bits to scenes in my notebook, a Moleskine, bought from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The notebook is more like a valuable friend, and goes absolutely everywhere with me. My favourite writing tool is a Zebra Drafix Auto Pencil, it's such a wonderful instrument, I believe draughtsmen use it and it's great for constructing a novel; plus you don't need a sharpener, which is good when you're working on a train. I can write just as well on the laptop, but I enjoy watching the organic flow of words onto the paper through the HB lead. It slows me down and makes me think about what I'm actually writing. I've been working all week on a couple of pages, editing and revising, it seems painstakingly slow but the result are impressive. I have polished 10,000 words and have about 60-70,000 to go. Daunting.

No comments: