Tuesday, June 14, 2005

A work in progress...2

While I wait for the agent to get back to me I continute to write. I have written about 60,000 words so far and not sure how many more words it will take to finish - I could easily write another 60,000, but I want to keep the book relatively short with no flab. I have been on a roll writing since I started my book on January 19 2005, which by coincidence - or not - was my daughter's birthday. By April 19 I had written 55,000 words. Not bad to say I work full time as a production editor for a newspaper in London and have two small children, who take up most of my 'free' time. At the moment I'm editing and revising, but have the novel pretty much mapped out in my head.
I write mainly on the train into London. The journey takes about 90 minutes, which is insane I know, but I get to spend two hours a day writing on my laptop, while my fellow commuters snooze, read or play various card games on their laptops. It feels good to be using my time so productively and I have overcome the intitial paranoia of writing surrounded by a load of strangers. Although I felt a bit uncomfortable writing the scene when two of the characters indulged in a spot of anal sex.

No comments: