Monday, June 20, 2005

A work in progress...6

I managed to do a bit of revision over the weekend and that was it. There's not much time to write when you have two small children who demand your attention after not seeing you all week. Funny, the times when I have spent on my own away from the family I don't produce anything. I realised long ago that they are my inspiration and I try and devote as much time as possible to them. Working at home is a problem though, as I don't have a dedicated workspace. My wife uses the only available spare room as a studio and I have to write either in the lounge, on the kitchen table or at a desk on the landing outside the kids' bedrooms. The kids regard me as just another plaything and I'm often decked out in a pink wig or assailed with plastic insects as I try and write. My chair has also been used as a tunnel for a train track, and quite often I have to endure the Grease soundtrack blasing out of my daughter's room. Not surprisngly I try and stay clear of the landing when the children are in residence. This weekend was also very hot, and it was father's day yesterday. I got to spend some time with my son and we went off on our own. I showed him how to ride his bike without the use of stabilisers and felt almost as proud as he did when he showed off his new skill to the rest of the family.

No comments: