Thursday, August 11, 2005

A work in progress...18

On Wednesday met up with my friend James and his girlfriend Niki for a beer in Clerkenwell after work. The family are in Germany still and I'm missing them. I couldn't get a cheap flight out of London so I'm staying at home and writing. While they're away, I can't seem to concentrate. I've got a couple of days off and I spent the day in the garden listening to the cricket and working, but actually wrote very little. I have managed to work out a structure and timeline for the novel which has made it easier. I'm also trying to focus on the two main characters and their intense, physical and ultimately short relationship. James is a DJ and editor of a music mag. He was best man at my wedding, and is a talented and beautiful guy, with an equally talented and beautiful girlfriend. He's invited me to his gig at Turnmills on Friday night. I would love to see him play and also get a feel for the club scene, as my raving days are just a memory. I've also featured Turnmills in a scene in the book, so it would be good to go for research purposes. I intend to write all day Friday, get ready and go into London in the evening and stay over at James and Nikki's place in Bow. Its should be wild and stimulating. It's probably my one and only chance to see James play live. I'm really looking forward to it. I spoke to my wife, told her where I was going. She's totally cool: "Don't be over doing it and showing off," was her advice.

No comments: