Monday, August 22, 2005

A work in progress...20

The family arrived back from their holiday last Thursday so I spent the weekend catching up with them. I took my children swimming, bike riding an too McDonald's etc and had a good time. I put the book on the back-burner, didn't even open the laptop all weekend. Talked about making an imovie about my wife, who's an artist and would make a fascinating subject, and would throw some insights into the creative process. Trying to set my book in the prestent, ie the last four months and write about real events such as the london bombings and LIve8.
This will give some athenticity to my main character, who suffers a breakdown which is precipitated by real events. It needs a bit of a rethink, and I'm struggling to bring all the disparate sections I've written into one narrative. However, if I get the core of the story right, everything else should slot into place. I have been writing it now for eight months, which is nothing, I know, but I can feel the nergy waning. This week I'm on deadline at work, so I'm not going to be able to do much work. I need to bring my laptop on the train with me and starting writing everyday again, and get at least one draft finished.
Woody Allen was filming in our office last week. Apparently his film is set in a newspaper office, so he used ours. Had my manuscript being ready I would have tried to pass him a copy.
Just writing this blog is giving me inspiration. I must keep going.

No comments: